I was just speaking with a colleague about one of her clients.

This client had purchased month to month hosting for her website from some random guy. He will only give her Cpanel access to her site (not host side access). Worse yet she purchased her domain name through this person as well. That means that she doesn't own anything, not her domain name, not her website not her content even. And if this hosting person is really dirty then he could just delete it all without warning and she has no leg to stand on at all.

THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS!!

Never buy hosting from just a random person. Purchase it from somewhere like Siteground (this is my favorite choice) https://bit.ly/2R4sRVH. They are fantastic and their support is the best I have ever seen and I have been doing this for over 15 years.

If you decide to move your site this person could decide to hold it hostage and again he owns it all so you are not legally able to do anything about it.

NEVER purchase from someone like this. Purchase from a large secure hosting company. Siteground, Bluehost (my least favorite ever), Godaddy (ok this one might be even worse), Wix ...

Never purchase your domain through anyone other than a direct domain site, siteground, godaddy, namecheap are just a few.